Monday, May 6, 2013

Going under the knife

I've been alluding to some health stuff that we're dealing with for Emmy.  It's really nothing life threatening but it's surely messing with our life.  We're gearing up for surgery on Friday to remove Em's adenoids.  I really hope this will begin to solve all of her problems.

My sweet girl has always had a rough time when it comes to congestion.  She spikes really high fevers and then a few days later, she'll get congested beyond belief.  This lingers for about 2 weeks then we're fighting with her to go back to sleeping in her room by herself.  This cycle happens about every month.  I attribute most of it to preschool germs but it's progressively getting worse.  Now she's getting so congested that she becomes apneic at night (meaning she stops breathing) and then startles herself awake in order to breathe.  It's a scary thing to witness as a parent.  The panic in her face is horrible.  And there's been nothing the Hubs or I can do to prevent it.  She's been sleeping between my legs, propped up on my hips.  This has been the only way I can get her to sleep for more than 2 hours at a time. She's tossing and turning all night long which means I have not gotten sleep in 5 weeks or so.  The Hubs has been sleeping in her room so at least someone is getting some sleep.  Oh and she snores.  Like a man.  If I knew how to upload a video from my phone to the blog, I would totally post it. She gives the Hubs a run for his money when it comes to snoring.  A 3 yr old should never be snoring like she is.  It's unreal.
Propped up on my stomach trying to get to sleep (with an ice pack for her pink eye)
If you read my post yesterday, you know that I have fallen off the working out wagon big time.  The extreme exhaustion has totally caught up to me.  I've adapted to functioning on no sleep and tons of coffee, which we all know is a recipe for disaster.  It's all come crashing down on me this week.  I feel my patience wearing thin.  I'm on the verge of tears all the time, not because I'm scared or emotional, just because I'm that tired.  The Hubs slept with her one night and woke up telling me he has no idea how I'm still functioning.  He was up almost all night making sure she was still breathing, much like I do.  He's been sweet enough to let me sleep in her room a few nights now just so I can try to recharge.  It's not really working but my body is thankful I am getting more than 2 hours of sleep at a time.

I think it's all just starting to hit me.  On Friday, my poor girl will go under anesthesia and someone will be cutting things out of her.  This is something I've definitely asked for because it will make things so much easier for her (and for us).  But it doesn't make it less scary.  I know she'll be fine.  We have a great surgeon and she's a tough cookie.  The nurse in me knows it's no big deal.  But the mom in me is starting to freak out a little.

  Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment