Sunday, May 5, 2013

Weekly Workouts

I'm linking up with Meghan and Kat for this week's Weekly Workout.  And it's not going to be pretty....I'm just warning you now.....
The past few weeks have been quite busy for us.  There's a lot going on with Em (I'll get to that tomorrow) and I've been busy with work and the kids school so, unfortunately, my working out has taken the back seat.  I know, I know....excuses, excuses.  But let me tell you, I haven't slept a full night of sleep in about 5 weeks and its finally hitting me.  I can't wait for this month to be over and life can go back to normal.

I will honestly say that I did not work out at all this past week.  I walk a lot at work so I guess I was a little active but no where close to where I want to be.  One day I'm going to wear a pedometer to see how many steps I log in a day.  That would be interesting to see.

But I did work out a little the week before so I guess I'll share all that instead.....

The week before was more of Family Fitness time.  Noah really wanted to run with me and I know his little 6yr old legs can't do 3 miles yet.  So we went out a few nights and did a mile or so.

Monday 4/22: we went out as a family for a walk/run.  Em did not want to walk so she was in the stroller and I pushed.  Noah and the Hubs came along too.  We would walk a little, run a little.  Overall we did 1.16 miles.  We have a great neighborhood that I figured out a 1 mile loop to run.  Noah did better than I figured he would and I even got to see the Hubs run!!!
He really can run!!!!
Tuesday 4/23: Noah wanted to go out running again and the Hubs really didn't. So I loaded Emmy up in the stroller again and the 3 of us headed out.  We did more running than walking, which I was really proud of Noah for.  Until we got to about 0.8 miles.  That's when he started telling me he needed to stop running and catch his breath.  At this point he was full on wheezing, throat tugging, couldn't catch his breath.  I almost had to call the Hubs to come pick us up so we could get home faster.  But Noah wanted to keep walking.  We ended  up doing 1/17 miles.  When we got home, I took a listen to him (I've had my stethoscope in my purse for weeks now) and he was wheezing like crazy!!!  A few puffs of Albuterol and some resting on the couch calmed him down. We've been playing around with this idea that he has some form of Asthma but we've never really been convinced of it.  Well I am now a believer that he has exercise induced asthma for real.  I have never seen him work so hard to breathe in my life.  It was horrible to watch because I knew that I was to blame.  I was making him run.  The mom guilt was happening big time!

Wednesday 4/24: This is the day our week went upside down.  I worked, then rushed to Countryside to take Em to a specialist, then raced back to All Children's in St Pete to get Xrays done.  Let the whirlwind begin. No working out for me.
First day in the OCC waiting for Xrays
Thursday 4/25: Went to work again only to make the in laws bring Emmy down to All Children's again for blood work. No working out for me.
Round 2 in the OCC waiting for blood draw
Friday 4/26: Work Work Work.  No sleep and no working out.

Saturday 4/27: Picked up an extra shift on the inpatient unit.  Probably walked about 3-4 miles in those 8 hours.  Still not sleeping so that walking will have to do

Sunday 4/28: The Hubs's family came over for a birthday lunch.  April/May are very busy months in the birthday world for them.  I was exhausted and it was my only day off before starting another 5 day work week (11 shifts in 13 days is tough). All I wanted to do is sleep but I ended up grocery shopping instead.
I got a few minutes to just breathe
And we all know that I did absolutely nothing this past week.  I hate that I've let the extreme exhaustion catch up to me but I'm pretty much running on empty.  I was able to get a decent amount of sleep Friday night and a little bit last night so I'm in a better place.  I plan on pounding the pavement today and getting in as many miles as I can before Friday.  Em has surgery that day and I know I'll be a little consumed afterwards.

How do you stay motivated?  Is it better to keep pushing yourself to be active or take a breather every once and a while?  I'm afraid if I take a breather for too long, I won't get back into it......



  1. Sometimes life gets crazy and that's ok! I hope the kiddies are a okay and you have a great start to this week!

  2. Oh your poor babies! I hope they get to feeling better!! I have a hard time too, setting aside time to get in a workout. It doesn't seem worth it some days.

  3. Its really hard sometimes to find time to exercise. But the key is to not feel guilty about it and just get some activity in whenever you cant. I try not to think about the past when I am forced to skip a workout. Hope the kids feel better!