Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Epic Fail

To call this an epic fail might be an understatement.  It might be me overreacting.  It might be me taking it too personally.  But all I know, my cake pops did not come out like this:

Bakerella makes it look so easy

They looked more like this:

A disgusting, dripping, not smooth chocolate mess
 I've been wanting to make cake pops for a while now.  I've been to Bakerella's site alot and have been inspired by her cute little creations so much that I decided to try them out for our fantasy baseball draft party. (Yes I play fantasy baseball and yes, we did have an actual draft).  So I ran out, gathered all my supplies and baked up a cake.  So I grabbed the recipe for cake pops from Bakerella's site here and went to work.

First....bake the cake.  Easy peasy.  It actually was a pretty cake coming out of the oven.
Then, for the fun part.  Crumble up the entire cake.  Make a mess with it.  I actually felt a little guilty ruining such a perfectly fine cake but if that's what I had to do, that's what I would do.  So it ended up looking like this:

Put it in a bowl and add frosting.  Now I think this is where I went wrong.  The recipe said to use almost an entire can so I did.  But from this point on, I think I was doomed.
Once that's all mixed (and it was kinda gross looking), shape mixture into balls. Now I don't like touching raw meat at all.  I have huge texture issues so this was a tad on the horrible side for me but for the sake of the cake pops, I put my big girl panties on and did it.

I think I made them too big thus having some issues dipping them.  They fell of sticks, got stuck in the bowl, dripped forever, you name it, it went wrong that way.  So instead of the millions I rolled, this is how many I ended up dipping:
I know I'm not a good dipper.  We established this when I made truffles for Christmas 2 years ago.  They're edible and delicious, just not pretty.  So I wasn't surprised when these babies looked so bad.  But what I wasn't expecting was the taste.  My cake pops almost tasted like I didn't cook the cake all the way.  I don't know if I added too much frosting or if the cake was too moist. But something was off.  People ate them (the kids LOVED them) but I thought they were weird.  I was bummed that I wasn't successful with the endeavor and made brownies to make up for it. 

But I will not let this keep me down.  I will make cake pops that are good and cute and adorable.  I will not let a bowl full of crumbled cake get the best of me!!!!  But until then, I'm sticking to cupcakes.  I'm good at those :)

No comments:

Post a Comment