Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Taking NYC by Storm...Part 1

Let me just tell you.....going back to work after 6 glorious days off is a pain.  I just can't get into the swing.  Oh well.  Have to suck it up for my clinic tomorrow. 
Enough of my complaining....on to the important stuff...NYC recap!!!

So I'll start with our adventures on Friday.  We got up at the butt crack of dawn (3am) so we could get to the airport and through security in time for our 6am flight.  And in true Jessica fashion, we had to start the day off with a pic:
Can you tell how excited I am?!? Not even tired after 3 hours of sleep and a 3am wake up call
 We had a great flight although I couldn't get comfortable and couldn't sleep.  Grabbed our bags and survived the cab ride into Manhattan.  Let me just tell you....the minute I got a peek at the skyline I was in love. And not just a little bit of love.  Like big, huge puffy heart love.  We got to our hotel, checked our bags in since our room wasn't ready and hit the town.  Did you know that NYC is a comic book headquarter?  DC's main office is there and I guess one of the best comic book stores in the world is right in the city and 2 blocks from our hotel.  So of course we stopped in.  That should show the Hubs how much I love him.  In my ultimate city and we stop at a silly comic book store first.  That's love!

The Hubs's personal heaven.  My own personal hell :)
Next we ventured to the subway.  We managed to figure out which subway route would get us to the World Trade Center area and jumped on for our first subway ride.  It wasn't as scary as I imagined it being.  The subway stop dropped us right out front of the WTC Memorial construction.  It was unbelievable to be in the same area where something so horrible took place.  I can't begin to imagine what it was like in the months following September 11th. 

The tallest tower constructed

The second tower being constructed
 After taking in the emotions, we headed off towards Battery Park. We found the coolest piece of art, took a pic with it, and thought we were headed in the right direction.

It looks like a giant balloon animal thingy!!!



 Well after about 20 blocks (or what felt like 20 blocks) we realized that we had walked in the completely wrong direction!  It was quite funny actually.  We almost walked back to the WTC area.  Definitely not towards Battery Park.  But it was ok.  This is what our vacation was about.  Wandering around the city and enjoying every minute.  So once we started in the right direction, we found the Brooklyn Bridge, Battery Park, and the Statue of Liberty very quickly. 

This is when he realized we definitely walked in the wrong direction

Me and the Brooklyn Bridge

I love this pic of the Hubs!!!

She is just breathtaking!!!

Thats how far away she is.  I am so thankful for a good zoom!!!
 I really liked the Battery Park area. There was a great breeze and great views.  So we headed off on a mission to find the bull in the Wall Street area.  It's only fitting that a USF girl in the Big City take a pic with it!!!

GO BULLS!!!!!
 After all of this exploring, we were pretty hungry and excited to get our first taste of NYC.  What did we choose???

I have never had pizza so good in my life!!! NYC pizza is truly the best!
 After stuffing our guts with oh so yummy pizza (we had 3 pieces between the 2 of us), we headed back to the subway to check into our hotel. 

I think this is where I'll leave off. Sorry for the long, picture filled post but we did so much that I'm having trouble editing my excitement!!! 

Up next.....Friday night in Time Square and Rockefeller Center!!!

 Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great day! I always get turned around downtown, too - the streets aren't numbered! How are you supposed to find anything?!

    My first time ever visiting NYC was actually 6 months after 9/11...they were still sorting through the rubble at that point, sides of buildings around there were still blown out, and all the headstones in the cemetery at Trinity Church were still blown over. It was something I will never forget.

    Can't wait for the rest of your recaps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. gorgeous pictures!! what a fun time. i've only been once before, but i had a blast :)

    Sam @ fitness food & faith

    ReplyDelete