Friday, January 25, 2013

How do they do it?

I just don't know how people actually get up early to work out.  Every morning I set my alarm for about 45-60 minutes before I really need to get up, just so I can hop on the elliptical to start my day off on the right foot.  Guess what happens.  That alarm goes off and instantly gets turned off and my late alarm gets set.  Every.Single.Day.  I just can't help it.

I'm not a morning person at all.  Never have been.  I wake up with the smallest amount of time to spare to get ready in the morning.  I don't do make up in the morning (more so because I have absolutely no idea how to do make up) and 9 times out of 10, I don't even brush my hair.  It's swooped up in a messy bun every day.  I'm always running around frantic because I'm chronically late.  So why would I ever think I'd be capable of waking up an hour earlier (usually meaning 5am) to get a jog in?

So what does that translate to?  Homework's been completed.  Dinner's been served.  Kiddos are in bed.  I'm hitting the elliptical between 8:30-9:30 at night.  Not a bad way to end one's day except it makes me WIDE AWAKE.  My body is ready to keep plugging along (and is woken up by my post workout shower) which leaves me up until midnight or so.  Not a good combination for a 5:15am alarm.  It's driving me crazy because I'm not getting enough sleep.

So how do you do it?  How do people force themselves out of bed at that ungodly time of day?  I really need some help/suggestions because I'm not sure how many more nights I can take only getting 5 hours of sleep because I'm so amp'd up post workout.

But on a brighter note, I now understand everyone's obsession with workout gear.  I've changed out of my scrubs into running clothes all week and it's really been quite surprising.  Not only am I motivated to work out (don't want to waste the outfit), I'm actually comfortable!  I love my new Old Navy Bubble Tank and I might actually go out in yoga pants without feeling too ridiculous (I never go out in public in work out clothes.  It's some crazy thing with me)
Of course I instagram'd it
@lifewithmyloves
       Help a sister out!!! My sanity depends on it!!!
 Photobucket

7 comments:

  1. I wish I could help you. I do not no wake up early to work out. I do the same as you. In the nicer weather its easier for me to wake up and take a little walk. I take Zumba classes in the evening. I LOVE the new Old Navy work out clothes. I have a few tops. They are so comfy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't help with that I am not a morning person AT ALL! I pretty much hate everything and everyone til at least 10 (just kidding more like 9). Good luck and cute workout top.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What about that time when you guys first get home. Instead of helping the kids with their homework right away, allow them a little play time & you hop on the eliptical? Surely you can find some "down time" before dinner to work it in maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I work out in the morning, but I AM a morning person. If you can find the time at night, that is what will help you stick with it.
    Maybe if you add 5 more minutes of stretching, 5 minutes of meditating and some sex afterwards, it'll help you doze off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are doing better than me! i plan for morning and never make it. my toddler is up at weird times. so then i think at night, and then tv comes on and somehow a glass of wine ends up in my hand. good for you though for at least fitting it in!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hear ya, lady! I can't possibly bring myself to do a morning work out. I already get up at 5:45, so in order to work out and get showered I would have to add at least an hour and 15 minutes to my morning. No way could I do 4:30 and then deal with kinderkids all day. Night work outs don't work for me either, for the same reason as you. I am wired up after a hard bout of exercise and can't possibly think of sleep. I have found that I can go as soon as I get off work. It makes me not get home until 6ish in the evening, but hey. I can handle that. Good luck to you! (visiting from Bloggy Moms, btw).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have no advice, but I'm impressed with you for making the time, even if it does keep you up! That's great! Maybe if you start a "wind-down" ritual after your workout/shower, that might help? Some chamomile tea, meditation, soft music, etc?

    ReplyDelete