Wednesday, February 13, 2013

I'm not happy at all but I'm glad I did it


I didn't really talk about it much but I ran the Rock N Roll Mini Marathon (aka 5K) this past weekend.  I had grand plans of killing this race big time but unfortunately, I fell very short of killing it.  I'm really disappointed in my results but I'm ready to make this my jumping off point for the rest of the year.

I was feeling pretty good going into the morning. Woke up at 4:45am and didn't feel tired at all.  My brother and his girlfriend (who I should probably just call my sister from now on because that's what she really is to me) ran it with me.  Sharon has been my running buddy since our first Princess Half Marathon a few years ago.  We headed down to the Trop after a slight detour, with plenty of time to get ready.  I ran into my friend from work who was running the half and chatted for a while.  Time was getting closer to the start of the Mini Marathon so we headed into our corral.  We were pretty close to the front.  My other friend found her way to us right before the start.  The gun went off and off we went.


The first mile wasn't bad at all.  I was feeling really good actually.  Then the brick happened.  For some reason it didn't dawn on me that we'd be running on brick roads.  I don't know why I didn't realize this.  I knew the roads down there were bricked but for some reason that slipped my mind. So needless to say, I was pretty much miserable for the last 1.5 miles.  I was concentrating on not tripping on the uneven road (yes, that's something that would happen to me) and trying to figure out when the finish line would magically appear. I'm not really sure why this was such a roadblock for me but it totally was.  Plus it was making my left shin hurt like heck.

But I crossed the finish line.  And that's all that matters.  I'm embarrassed of my time (which is why it won't be publicized here) but I know it wasn't a great run and it's only up from here.  I'm ready to seriously kill my time at Iron Girl Clearwater.  And to make things even better, the Hubs and I have registered for runDisney's Tower of Terror 10 miler in October.  I've got to figure out a training plan, and fast, because I cannot finish after the Hubs.  I just can't!  I'll never hear the end of it!

So here's to pounding the pavement and getting faster!  Oh and being very bright in these bad boys
via

   Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Even if you weren't happy with your time, I'm super impressed that you're out there running these races. That is so great! I mean, even a bad run is way better than no run (and I'm a no run girl, haha!). And you're right, it's only up from here!

    And dude, those shoes are awesome.

    ReplyDelete