Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Here's to an amazing 2011

It's that time of year when everyone is making resolutions for the new year. Of course, I plan on making some resolutions (and hoping to stick to them) but they might not be the traditional resolutions I usually make. Here are some of my resolutions for the new year:

1. Get healthy. I've made strides in 2010 to do this by losing 25lbs. I still have about 20 more to go. I've taken a few months off of my weight loss program (and haven't really gained any weight) so now it's back on the wagon. I'm also making this a family resolution. John's current cholesterol, triglycerides, and blood pressure are all indications that we need a family initiative to get healthy. We have 2 amazing young children who deserve to have their parents healthy and living to an old age. One way is to run more. I committed to this last year and fell short. Completing my first half marathon was amazing. So amazing that I'm anticipating my next one at the end of February. Of course my training has slacked BIG time so its back to basics and back to training.

2. Be a better mother. I know in my heart that I'm a good mother to my children. But I know I can be better. This year we're not going to stay inside and play. We're going to enjoy our backyard and the environment. Since Noah's in PreK in the mornings, it leaves me the perfect time to spend with Emmy. We're going to start going to the library, to story time, do all the things that I wanted to do with Noah but didn't.

3. Be a better wife. John and I have a funny relationship. We're each other's biggest supporters but biggest opponents at the same time. We're both so freakin stubborn that it is ridiculous. This year, I want to focus on strengthening the relationship between us, not as parents, but as partners.

4. Be fiscally responsible. I just love that term. John and I can spend money, let me tell you. We waste an obscene amount of money on stupid things. We try to budget but never stick to it. This year, I want to make a conscious effort to rebuilding our savings, cutting down on our frivolous spending, and overall becoming more responsible with our money. I am blessed to have a great job that provides much more financially than what I grew up with. My parents struggled so much to provide my brothers and I with whatever we needed. I don't want my children to go through the same, especially when it can be prevented.

5. Strengthen our family's relationship with God. We've slacked big time when it comes to our faith. Going to church is not a priority anymore and that's just not ok. We still haven't baptized Emmy (which breaks my heart and I'm sure my mother's heart). I want my kids to grow up, standing firm in their beliefs, just as I did.

6. Enjoy life to the fullest. In my line of work, I meet the most amazing children and young men/women, all of which are left to battle for their lives. Working in the cancer world is emotionally draining, especially when you become attached to your patients. This year, we've lost the most amazing people to the ugliest of beasts. One patient in particular came into my life and left a lasting impression on me. Blake took everything that was dealt to him and faced it head on, without fear. He found strength in Christ and that was all he needed. When he relapsed a second time and there was nothing else we could do for him, he accepted that and truly lived his life. He did anything and everything. He made the most of the little time he had. I'm still having a hard time dealing with his death but he has inspired me to live my own life. To encourage my children to live their lives. To experience all that there is to experience. Life is something that I take for granted too often and it can all be taken away in an instant. I don't want to look back on my life and wish that I had done things differently. I guess I ultimately want to be more like Blake.

Here's to a new year. May 2o11 be the start of a brand new me, a brand new Crimella family, and a brand new outlook on life.

~JRC~

No comments:

Post a Comment