Monday, December 3, 2012

Get out of my belly!!!

First off, thanks to everyone who's checked in on me or have been saying prayers for me this past week.  Facebook and Twitter have been so loving!  I really do have amazing friends.  Thanks!!!

I started with some abdominal pain last Sunday (right upper quadrant pain for all my RN/MD buddies).  I couldn't keep anything down and I was pretty much miserable. Went to my PCP on Monday who said it could be a handful of things: Kidney stone vs duodenal ulcer vs obstructed bile duct.  We did some labs and she ordered a CT scan for the next day.  The pain was very similar to the pain that landed me in the hospital for 6 days last year.  Drank all of my contrast (against my will) and had my CT on Tuesday.
definitely did not taste like a banana smoothie
Still in pain but went back to work on Wednesday and Thursday.  By Thursday afternoon, my pain flipped from abdominal pain to right lower flank pain.  This and the fact that I had calcium oxalate crystals on my UA led me to believe this was definitely kidney stones.  Everyone at work thought so too.  I tried my hardest to stay out of the ER but I couldn't help it.  I truly felt like I was in labor again.  it was horrible.  My IV was started, labs drawn, CT repeated (we still had not received the results from the scan on Tuesday), fluids, Zofran, and Dilaudid given.  I was starting to feel a little better.
The man who put this in (on the 2nd attempt) meant business....most painful IV start EVER!!!!
The MD comes in and says I have a 2mm stone that looked like it was almost in my bladder.  That wicked horrible pain was me passing it.  She thought that I could go home and manage it myself since it was in the bladder.  Well let me tell you....this lil bugger doesn't want to come out.  Or if it has, it has friends still in my kidney.  I'm so uncomfortable.  I'm still having flank pain that takes my breath away.  My pain meds only work for about 30 minutes.  Then they just make me feel crappy. So I'm trying not to take them but I'm miserable in the process.  I've drank so much water in the past 72 hours is crazy!  I think I've consumed close to 10-12 liters of fluid by now.

Noah's been trying to understand what's happening to Momma and it's kinda funny.  He just can't seem to wrap his head around the fact that I have a rock inside me.  That's just too weird for him.  No matter how much I try to break it down for him, he's just not getting it.  Gotta love the mind of a child!

Anyone who has ever had kidney stones, I never understood how horrible they are until now.  This is something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. I really think we need to take a stand and try to support Kidney Stone Research (if there is such a thing) to get rid of these things forever!  Who's with me? Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. You poor thing. I am so with you. I had kidney stones a few years back and it was so incredibly awful. Worse than labor, I think. I realize I'm about a decade late in offering my sympathies here but I hope by now you're feeling as good as new!

    ReplyDelete