Friday, July 22, 2011

Let's put an end to pediatric cancer!

As I've stated before, I am a pediatric hematology/oncology/bone marrow transplant nurse.  What this means is I take care of kids with all types of cancer, blood disorders, and children who have bone marrow transplants.  It is the most emotionally draining work I've ever done but it is the most rewarding work I will ever do.  Every day I am reminded how lucky I am because I am fortunate enough to have healthy children. 

I have held the hands of parents who have been told their child has cancer.  I have celebrated with patients for their last chemotherapy treatments.  I have cried with them when they find out their cancer is back.  I have held the bucket for sick kids as they go through preparation for their bone marrow transplants.  I have been there when they are told they are a Survivor.  I have been in the conference when the doctors tell parents there's nothing else we can do.  I have been at the bedside, holding a child's hand, as they take their last breath.  I have done all of this with the hope that one day we will find a cure for this horrible monster that is taking the most amazing people from this earth. 

I know I ask for prayers a lot and I thank each and every one of you for the prayers said for my patients and their families.  I'm asking for help one more time. 

On September 24th, I will be participating in the Tampa Bay Area CureSearch Walk.  The CureSearch Walk celebrates and honors children whose lives have been affected by children’s cancer, while raising funds for the lifesaving research of the Children’s Oncology Group. This group of medical professionals treats more than 90% of children with cancer at over 175 hospitals in the United States.  These experts provide world-class care in communities across the country. All Children's Hospital (where I work) is one of these hospitals.


Every day, 35 children are diagnosed with pediatric cancer–7 of those children will not survive. Cancer is the #1 cause of death by disease in children. Although the cure rate is now 78%–up by 30% in the last 20 years–it is not good enough. Our goal is a 100% cure rate. 

You can help us reach our goal of a 100% cure rate.  Please consider donating to this cause.  We never dream of hearing the words "Your child has cancer" but, unfortunately, it can happen to any of us. 

I am a part of the team, HOTTIES of the OCC.  My personal page can be found here.  You can donate through my page or make a general donation to CureSearch.  And if you're not interested in donating to our walk, please consider donating to your local CureSearch fundraisers, local children's hospital, or local Ronald McDonald House.   


Again, I thank you all so much for the prayers said for my patients.  I pray that one day we will put an end to all pediatric cancers so our kids can be exactly that, kids.

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Now that I am done crying I hope you don't mind but I'm going to share this on my blog...hopefully it brings you some sponsors :)

    ReplyDelete