Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Mother's Day Recap (this turned into a long one)

I have been fortunate enough to have 5 Mother's Days so far.  Last year was the first time I ever had the opportunity to actually spend Mother's Day with my family.  I've had to work every other year.  Last year it was a laid back day.  All I wanted to do was see the sunset at the beach.  We did that, it was beautiful.  Then I slammed the car door on my foot.  I spent the rest of the evening in the ER.  Not the best way to spend Mother's Day.

This year, with my new schedule (can I say again how awesome it is to not work any weekends?!?!?), I had Mother's Day off again.  I told the Hubs that I wanted no part in planning anything.  I wanted a special day that came from him and the kiddos.  So he's how it went down:

Friday was Noah's Mother's Day Tea Party at school.  It was so cute.  They sang songs, we had donuts, bagels, and fruit, and he made the cutest flower for me that's now on my desk at work.  Emmy thinks she is a PreK kid so she joined in the festivities with singing and dancing, including her new move, the "let's lift up our dress and show off our belly/diaper" move.  Yes....I'm so proud of that one.  All in all, great way to kick off the weekend.
A few pics from our special day
But the best by far was the guessing game.  The kids had to draw a picture of their mom and answer a few questions about them.  I spotted Noah's the minute I walked in and all I could do was laugh. There was no guessing needed.  I just knew which one was his.  The best  was the age question.  His teacher told me how hard it was for him to answer that question because he truly didn't know how old I am.  He really likes to know the correct answers for everything.  And no, I'm not 40.  I'm 28, soon to be 29. 
Red is his favorite color so that's why he colored me red. That's how I knew it was his.
He answered most of the questions right except I'm not a big soup fan and I'm shocked he didn't say I love owls. 
The rest of the weekend was a blast.  We were supposed to do brunch with the Hubs's mom but she was sick so we didn't go.  We opted to do breakfast with just the 4 of us (best spinich, feta, and mushroom omelette ever!!!) and head to the mall for some shopping.  We headed to Countryside because they have a train that goes around the whole lower level of the mall.  We did some shopping then headed to the train.  This train was like no other.  I had to ride with them because they weren't tall enough.  This train wasn't on a track.  A man drove it around the mall.  He probably would have run people over too if they got in the way.  But Noah had a blast so it made it all good for me.  We headed home and then grabbed dinner (oh yeah, we checked out the double stroller we're going to get and finally saw my camera in person).
Waiting for the train to start
Sunday I forgot to set my alarm so we didn't wake up in time for church.  I was woken up by the kiddos with this:
My first ever breakfast in bed!!!  It was awesome.  Em ate most of my bananas and they each took one of the ears but it was sweet all the same.  I got an amazing bag from the kiddos (the Hubs did great).  We packed up and headed down to the water to have lunch at Bubba Gumps.  If you haven't heard of it or been there, you're missing out.  It's straight out of "Forrest Gump" and the Hubs and I just love it!  We went to one in Breckinridge on our honeymoon, frequented the one in Orlando multiple times when we lived there, and now we have one close to us in Madeira Beach.  We're looking forward to our NYC trip because there's one on Broadway (we're not going to eat there, just get a glass to add to our collection).  But anyways....the weather was beautiful, the water looked amazing, and the kids loved it! We stuffed our faces full of wonderful food and had a great time. Then we came home for naps and then headed to my parents house for dinner. 

Look how amazing the water is!!!  Great day to be outside with my family
All in all, best Mother's Day weekend EVER.

I have to thank the Hubs for making it so special.  I didn't have high expectations (he's not very romantic {actually he's not romantic at all}) but he did a great job.  Thanks honey for making my day so special!!
Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. This is a sweet post! I'm glad you had such a great Mother's Day :) Love your breakfast in bed - how cute! And I LOVE Bubba Gump's. Love. Love. LOVE! I've been in Charleston and Gatlinburg. Shrimp po boy and strawberry freckled lemonade = heaven in a basket!

    ReplyDelete