Wednesday, May 4, 2011

This is when I say the Hubs was right.....

This doesn't happen much. 
Rarely do I admit that the Hubs is right. 
Rarely is he actually right :)  Love you honey! 

As ashamed as I am to admit this, we have been bad parents.  Bad parents for over 4 years.  Why, you might ask.  We have let our kids go to sleep with cups.  I know, I know.  It's horrible for their teeth.  It's prevented Noah from being completely potty trained.  It's just bad. 
*Let me clarify something....our kids did not use pacifiers. I did not want to have that habit. Unfortunately, we let the cup turn into a pacifier at night so my whole "no pacifier" philosophy has been shot*

We had decided that we were taking the cup away from Noah over Spring Break.  I thought this was going to be a HUGE disaster.  But once the time came, the Hubs took over and took away the cup...from both kids.  I didn't anticipate taking it away from Emmy yet but we were going to do this completely.  The Hubs was so confident in this endeavor.  I was pretty sure he was out of his mind.

Noah took to this new way of sleeping no problem.  The first night was rough but that's it.  We don't do juice for naptime or bedtime anymore.  Emmy has had a harder time with it but has finally come around.  She's falling asleep easier on her own now.  There's no peeing through her diaper anymore.  We're not washing sheets twice a day.  And she's sleeping better too.

But our biggest victory in this whole ordeal is Noah has finally decided he doesn't want a pull up!!!  Once we stopped the juice, he started waking up with a dry pull up.  Then he decided all on his own that he wanted to wear undies.  And he's never looked back.  Tonight he even declared "Monday through Friday I'm off the pull ups" (like he's laying off the booze or something).  It's just amazing.  I love that our little change in routine has empowered him enough to realize that he can do this.  He is a big boy and doesn't need the safety of a pull up.  I just love it.  Although it makes me sad because he's growing up.  I can't believe my little man is almost 5 (well he'll be 5 in January but whatever).

So yes, the Hubs was right all along.  We could do this.  Our kids could kick the habit.  And you know what?  We survived the withdrawl period and now we're living life cup-free and have sleeping beauties that look like this:


 Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment